[TN-Bird] Kingston Steam Plant field trip results

  • From: "Ron and Dollyann" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 20:44:08 -0400

Tn-birders,
This morning 11 people attended the Knoxville chapter TOS field trip to the
Kingston Steam Plant in Roane Co. We arrived in front of the plant to look for
the Brown-headed Nuthatches that have been present for several years. A long
row of pine trees near the road died a few years back due to the Southern Pine
Bark Beetle infestation, so the fate of these nuthatches was in doubt. There
are still 3-4 patches of pines near the area and the birds seem to be doing
fine with the remaining trees, as we found about 6 of them. We also had a nice
wave of birds and several warblers along the entry road across from the pines.
Our focus then shifted to the rear of the plant, where we worked the tall weeds
and then the trees along the back embayment of the plant, hoping for an odd
sparrow or two. We didn't find any odd sparrows but enjoyed looking at some
nice butterflies and dragonflies.

Here is the list of species found today. We birded from about 0815 to 1230
before retiring to a local restaurant for some calories and liquids. I only
included the totals for some of the species. We also ran into Ed Manous in the
back and he had a Merlin over the soccer fields early in the morning while we
were in the front of the plant.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Pied-billed Grebe - 1
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied WP
Downy WP
N. Flicker
Pileated WP
Empidonax sp. flycatcher - 1
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
Amer. Crow
Tree Swallow - about 50
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Brown-headed Nuthatch - 6
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Amer. Robin
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
TN Warb - 20
Nashville Warb - 1
N. Parula - 3
Chestnut-sided Warb - 2
Magnolia Warb - 20
Yellow-rumped Warb - 5
Black-throated Green Warb - 3
Blackburnian Warb - 1
Yellow-throated Warb - 2
Pine Warb - 1
Palm Warb - 8
Black-and-white Warb - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 4
Hooded Warb - 1
WILSON'S Warb - 1
Summer Tanager - 1
Eastern Towhee
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
N. Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Amer. Goldfinch

Participants: Frank Bills, Sharon Bostick, Jack Carr, Rob Gophrie (sp ?),
Ginger Goolsby, Ron Hoff, Tom Howe, Tony King, Dollyann Myers, Libby Reid, and
David Trently.

Thanks to all the participants. It was a lot of fun.

Ron Hoff
Clinton, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES