[TN-Bird] Kingston Steam Plant

  • From: Arthur_McDade@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:04:21 -0700

I visited Kingston Steam Plant on Wednesday evening, July 9th, from 6 pm to
7:30 pm. In the first ash pond on the left after entering from the soccer
field parking lot (not the elevated settling pond, but the first level ash
pond on the left), I saw two white birds standing on an ash bar that
extended from the left bank. I was able to move to within approximately 150
yards of them by moving left along the margin of the ash pond, and look at
them from different angles in the bright late afternoon sunlight. At first
I thought they were gulls, but the large red bills and the black caps were
clearly visible at that range in the good angle sunlight, indicating they
were Caspian Terns.  In talking to Wallace Coffey, he mentioned they were
possible early fall migrants.

Also seen were:

4 Osprey
1 DC Cormorant