[TN-Bird] KY Lake; 11/14/06

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:12:16 -0600

11/14/06
KY Lake; Henry Co.
Pace Point, Britton Ford, and Paris Landing areas
I decided to make a quick trip back to KY Lake to see if there might have been
any new additions with the recent front that came through. Duck numbers were
way down around the Pace Point area, but Paris Landing is now loaded with
Scaup. I only spent a total of about 3 hours birding this morning, so didn't
spend very long in any area.

When I arrived at Pace Point, Kevin Breault and Dee Thompson were already in
the area. They had the WESTERN GREBE located, but the big raft of divers that
is usually in the area was nowhere to be found; same goes for the Red-necked
Grebe. There were practically no Scaup in the Pace Point area. The two
WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS were still present off the northeast corner of Pace Point.
They were actively feeding with Mallards and Black Ducks, foraging by swimming
in the shallows with their heads underwater. It was nice to have looks at the
adult male in calm conditions, so that orange bill and white comma behind the
eye really stood out, even at a distance. This is one of my favorite birds in a
long time. A Black Duck doesn't look black anymore when swimming next to that
bad boy!

Otherwise in the area, not much except my 1st Common Goldeneye of the fall, and
the 1st nice group of about 30 Red-breasted Mergansers. Loon numbers were very
low, with only about 30 visible between Pace and Rocky Point. I didn't look for
loons at all later in the day. Otherwise the highlight at Pace was a lone
AMERICAN  AVOCET that flew in literally as I was about to turn my car around to
leave.

From Pace we went to Britton Ford, on the chance that the Scoters, especially
the Black,  might still be present. No luck, and very few birds at all in the
bay below the observation platform. They should be closing this area to boat
traffic very soon, so it should start filling up. Otherwise at Britton Ford
about the only thing of interest was a lone 'Blue' Goose in amongst the handful
of Canada Geese that I could see. No shorebirds other than Killdeer.

Paris Landing was loaded with birds, with the vast majority being Coot and
Scaup. Nothing unusual in the area, and only a handful of gulls on the island.

On another note, I was a little confusing about something in my 1st post about
the White-faced Ibis in Lake Co. I mentioned that it was my 350th bird in TN,
but the way I worded it sounded like it might be my 350th bird THIS year in TN.
That is definitely not the case, 350 was a long time coming!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx