[TN-Bird] Johnson County Bounty

  • From: Whoopinwiller@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:34:31 EST

Quarry Bog
Orchard Bog
Shady Valley, TN
Johnson County
Rack Cross
Sam Cross
.
Prior to joining the Bristol Bird Club for dinner and a Woodcock Watch me and
Sam Cross visited Quarry Bog in Shady Valley, TN. We were surprised to see
the bog flooded so that we could only walk about half way down the main trail.
Near the end of our short walk we spooked lots of water fowl, including a
potential record 94 Mallard, and a few snipe. On the dry side of the bog we
found
over three dozen meadowlarks. Near the entrance of the bog trees were loaded
with grackles. After running a nice list at Quarry Bog we caught up with the
bird club for dinner and on to Orchard Bog where the woodcocks were cooperative.
.
Quarry Bog:
Canada Goose - 2
Wood Duck - 1 (Male)
Mallard - 94 (Maybe County Record High per Wallace Coffey)
Blue-winged Teal -1 (Male)
American Kestrel - 1
Wilson's Snipe - 3
Mourning Dove - 7
American Crow - 6
Eastern Bluebird - 2
European Starling - 9
Red-winged Blackbird - 1
Eastern Meadowlark - 38
Common Grackle - 66
unidentified sparrow - 1
.
Orchard Bog:
American Woodcock - 1 (minimum)
several wing whistles and a single peent call were heard.
.
'Til we bird again
.
Rack Cross