[TN-Bird] Interesting time at Norris (Anderson County)

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 17:37:24 -0500

From 10 a.m. to 1:35 pm today as I walked the Songbird Trail at Norris Dam
State Park in Anderson County, Tennessee I had three especially memorable
experiences:  2 with birds and 1 with a snake.

First were the winter wrens.  I thought I was hearing faintly the song of a
Winter Wren coming from across the river.  As I stood still, listening
intently, movement part way down the river bank a few feet from me got my
attention.  It was a Winter Wren hopping through the brush piles.  It wasn't
the singer as the song continued while I watched the closer one moving about.
The closer one then disappeared into the brush and a louder song burst forth.
For a while both were singing.  Then the music stopped and the closer wren
re-emerged, resuming its progress in the direction of the dam (north?); it was
in almost the exact location where I saw and heard a winter wren singing
December 3.

A bit later I was watching a Brown Creeper creeping down a tree trunk when the
bird stopped just a few inches off the ground and clung to the trunk, facing
upward, spread its wings and remained like that for perhaps a minute.  It
reminded me of "anting" behavior when a bird remains stationary on the ground
with its wings spread.  I've never seen a creeper in that posture and I don't
think I've ever seen a photo of one like that.  With the wings spread its
orangish rump was exposed; I've never seen that either.  I tried to get close
enough to take a photo but before I could the creeper resumed creeping up the
tree, around the trunk and out of sight.  I walked over to the trunk to see if
there were any ants on it but there weren't.

The snake was more cooperative and let me take its picture.  I heard rustling
in the dry leaves beside the trail just behind me and turned in time to watch a
garter snake slither through the leaves and then down into them.  It popped
back up with just its head and a few inches of its body showing, looking like a
small striped periscope.  And there it remained even as I approached close
enough to hopefully get some decent photos.

The water at Norris is high.  Most of the lower trail by the river is submerged
and with the water moving so fast the only waterfowl were a dozen Canada Geese
and they stayed close to the shore.

A maintenance man told me that he's been seeing eagles circling every day this
week near the maintenance base (up a hill across from the main trail parking
lot).  He watched one take a roadkilled opposum to a field and eat it.  He was
surprised by the behavior, said the eagle was beautiful.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES