[TN-Bird] Hudsonian Godwit Photos

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx,ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:19:15 EDT

June 5, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
Well, I wasted a perfectly good morning with a female Hudsonian Godwit at
Ensley ;o)

I left there just after noon and she was feeding away so maybe she will stay
a day or two.

There were 14 Semipalmated Sandpipers and 11 White-rumped in the pits and I
saw 3 Western Kingbirds and found one of their nests. Black-necked Stilt nests
are everywhere and babies abound with a few adults clambering about who is
with whom while others still build nests. The pair of Shoveler Ducks still feed
together, with all that mating going on you would think they would get the
idea. I saw only one Blue-winged Teal male and I found a drake Gadwall that had
slipped past me over the past few weeks. It appears to have a bad wing and is
going into eclipse plumage as is the teal and male Shoveler.

My intent was to check out the pits quickly and start east for a few state
birds. I'll head that way now as I have an afternoon appointment with a
Bachman's Sparrow and a Prairie Warbler that need ticking.

I have posted a few photos of two of the Hudsonian Godwits that have graced
me with their presence this spring. Try the Hudsonian Gallery at:

http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA