[TN-Bird] Re: Hooded Crane at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 22:12:59 -0600

There is an (emerging?) school of thought that any bird that is living in the wild (i.e. not a recent/deliberate release) be considered wild, without all the rigamarole of trying to determine how it got there. Ecologically this makes sense; after all that Hooded Crane would appear to be living a "wilder" life than chickadees at a suburban feeder. That brings a whole different set of advantages, problems, and complications, of course. But that is not the way the game is played right now, by most birders.

I expect the TN-BRC will have an interesting time with this one, especially if the Nebraska folks accept theirs! We gotta earn our bowl of kibble somehow...

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Dec 14, 2011, at 5:28 PM, OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 12/14/2011 3:52:04 P.M. Central Standard Time, csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx writes: I disagree that these things must remain in limbo. Let's keep in mind that determination of whether a bird is added to the ABA checklist, and thus "countable," is not oriented towards any scientific end. It's oriented towards the recreational side of birding and towards encouraging eco-tourism.

I agree here except why tie the ABA Birders List to the acceptance of a species by AOU. Why can't the ABA come up with a list that has identifiable species, or even with some sub-species or such an arrangement more pointed to the recreational side of birding, therefore easier to adjust to present and changing conditions. It is far easier to prove that a bird is an escape most of the time than to prove it to be just lost and countable, then adding it to the AOU list would be a separate endeavor. The Common Teal is an identifiable species (some hybrids) and considered an accepted separate species across the world but not by AOU and so on and so on...

Also, I agree with Bill: "These sorts of things often have to remain in limbo until a pattern of vagrancy either is or is not established in the future (over many decades, sometimes)."

Bill did not say it MUST stay in limbo, only just needs to be sorted out in time for the AOU to accept it but this also could be better handled at the ABA level for the listing game but serious side if ABA separated its list rather than waiting for the scientific side to go through the motions. At its start, this may have been a good idea to rely on the AOU but now ABA has grown up and if it does not conform to the fast advancing public and speed of the net, it will slowly be swallowed or at least swept to the side.

I personally just like to watch birds, list able or not the list is just the spice you sprinkle on for variety..............

Thanks to all those that read through this ramble.......

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135
http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the heavens.