[TN-Bird] Homestead birds

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:03:31 -0500

 Home for me is in the woods at the foot (1700' elevation) of Stone
Mountain,roadless &wild, mostly National Forest.  Today I was able to watch
the feeders and surrounding tall trees for about 6 hours while I researched
on the internet.  There was a nice assortment of late winter woodland birds,
all the usual, & some not so common here.   First of season:
Golden-crownedkinglet   Fox Sparrow   Pine siskin Irregularly noticed this
time of year:   Red-bellied woodpecker   Yellow-bellied sapsucker
Blue-headed vireo   Blue jay   Brown creeper   Ruby-crowned kinglet
Easternbluebird (female)   Hermit Thrush   Brown thrasher   White-throated
sparrow (a pair)   Purple finch  Everyday birds:   Turkey vulture   Mourning
dove   Downy woodpecker (a pair)   Pileated woodpecker   Eastern phoebe (a
pair nesting over the front door, like every year since 1990)   American
crow  Carolina chickadee   Tufted titmouse   Red-breasted nuthatch (a pair -
we've had RBNH here almost daily for over 2 years)   White-breasted nuthatch
  Carolina wren   Pine warbler (heard, not seen, daily since late Feb)
Dark-eyed junco   Northern cardinal   American goldfinch   Michael Sledjeski
Del Rio, Cocke county, TN