[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Cranes and Bald Eagles

One adult bald eagle and five immature bald eagles were seen early this morning
in the Hiwassee Island area from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park overlook
in Meigs Co. at Birchwood. One whooping crane was also observed this morning.
An estimated 500 sandhill cranes roosted in the same area overnight. Late in
the day, I saw only about 200 - 300 sandhills. I also noted two juvenile
whooping cranes, and 3 immature bald eagles. Significant numbers of double
crested cormorants and nesting great blue herons were in the Hiwassee Island
area, as well. A person from England visited both the HWR and the CRMP
today.Total visits to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge have now reached at least
4,442 since December 14, 2011. This total does not include the 3,200 plus
visitors to the crane festival reported by Vickie Henderson on her recent blog.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN