[TN-Bird] Heron Rookery and Great Horned Owls...

  • From: "Michelle Brown" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:18:43 -0500

It finally occurred to me that carrying my binocs in the car would be a good
idea as I am out driving around all day with my new job.  I constantly catch
something flying over head or popping around the areas water ways.  Hard to see
with the naked eye.
I noticed a heron rookery just down river from the Patrick Henry dam a few
weeks ago.  After all the rookery talk on the list I decided to check it out
today.  The rookery is easily visible from Ft. Henry Drive in Kingsport TN.  If
you are traveling from Johnson City heading toward Kingsport there is a road on
the left called Wesley Rd or St.  It is just after you cross the double bridges
near the dam.  It leads down to an access road that winds down under the double
bridges.  The rookery sits in the tree tops across the river from the access
road along the top of the ridge.  With all that said...

I pulled in to have a look and see if there was any activity.  One nest on the
left side of the tallest tree presently houses a Great Horned Owl and what
appears to be her down covered nestlings.  I could not get a very good look as
she was nothing but a silhouette against the grey sky.  I did try several
vantage points and did catch a lot of fluffy white under and next to mom.  Mom
was sitting up and moving around a lot as if perhaps things are a little
crowded at Villa de Rookery.  A spotting scope would certainly help as the nest
are a good distance away.

As one might imagine, there are no Great Blue Herons in this rookery.

Have a fantabulous weekend!

Michelle King
Blountville TN