[TN-Bird] Henslow Sparrow Cade's Cove GSMNP

  • From: "jimimoore@xxxxxxxx" <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 01:29:22 GMT

While photographing deer in early morning fog in Cade's Cove, Great Smoky Mts
NP.
on Friday morning, 6-4-2010 ,  I heard a Henslow's Sparrow singing.  I was very
aware that it was a Henslow's from the moment I exited my vehicle ,hearing the
first few calls. Then it suddenly dawned on me that this bird was a first for
me in the Cove and probably rare there. Thus, being  very skeptical at my own
identification since not hearing one in about 15 yrs, I set out to "find him".
I had forgotten how well their voice projects. He seemed to be very close
within 100 feet of the parking area in the Cove known as "Wildlife Viewing
are". (This is the huge expansive parking area with the vista apx. 1 mile past
Hyatt Lane on the left. )  After walking in the fields towards a knoll for apr.
300 ft I finally saw him perching 2 ft off the ground on a brier singing his
heart out...( Well, if you want to call  a Henslow's  "tslip vocalization
"singing". )  After stalking him for nearly an hour  I was finally able to
photograph him for identification with some rather nice images!  His behavior
was that of a bird on territory, even displaying his flutter
flight pattern when moving from place to place. The bird could, of course,
still be in migration. It would be great if they began nesting there. The
habitat is perfect right now if cutting is delayed.
NOTE- If someone could please send me off list whom to contact in the park with
this info.  I tried to contact Paul Super to no avail.
Please reply to  Nell Moore at moorephotography@xxxxxxxxxxx and not  the post
address. Photos can be sent to those interested.
Nell Moore
Caryville, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN