[TN-Bird] Harris's Sparrow seen December 28

  • From: Shawna Ellis <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:28:17 -0600

Harris's Sparrow
December 28, about 3:25-3:30 pm
Trigg County, KY

We followed the directions provided by Mike O' Malley to find the
Harris's Sparrow in the parking lot at the "Fish Island Store" in
Trigg County KY this afternoon (December 28).

We easily found the location, arriving at about 2:30. Then we spent
half an hour sitting in our vehicle intently scanning the many
sparrows near the feeder. Seeing nothing, we kept an occasional eye on
the feeder area while we had a little "car picnic" and our five year
old daughter occasionally leaned out the window to pet the yellow Lab
that was hanging around.

We decided to give one last thorough scan before leaving, and when the
bird did appear, it was obvious! He hung around for a few minutes,
giving us great looks as he went between perching on the wooden fence
post and feeding on the ground beneath the feeder. He is still vividly
marked with much of his summer plumage, making for a very striking
bird.

He disappeared, and we went into the store for a few minutes, where
the owner spoke to us about the bird and the people who have come to
see it, some from out of state. She mentioned Illinois and Missouri as
well as Tennessee and the local Kentuckians. She had seen us sitting
there in her parking lot for an hour and hoped we got to see it. When
we came back out, the bird returned for another minute or so. We left
at 3:30, glad to have seen this bird, a lifer for us.

Thanks for the specific directions descibing the location! Here are
the directions again:

Harris's Sparrow seen at the feeder in the parking lot of the Fish
Island store not far from Lake Barkley Lodge. The spot is found by
taking Rt. 68 to Rt. 1489 and then go about a mile on Rt. 918 to the
store.

Shawna Ellis
Paris, TN
Henry County