[TN-Bird] Greater White-fronted Geese, Washington Co., et al

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:06:12 -0500

     An anonymous informant this morning, MON 12 FEB 2007, put me onto a flock
of nine (9) Greater White-fronted Geese feeding in corn stubble off of
Berryhill Rd. in the Limestone area of Washington Co., TN.  While I was there a
local resident informed me that the geese had been present in the neighborhood
for a few weeks.
     Also, I was just informed by a local wildlife officer that large flocks of
Greater White-fronted Geese were seen along Hwy. 11W west of Rutledge in
Grainger Co., about the time of the bad weather up north a few weeks ago.  If
anyone is out that way soon, perhaps some could still be found?
     An addendum to Rob Biller's post of our day birding in Washington and
Sullivan Counties last Saturday 10 FEB 2007 - on the South Fork of the Holston
River in Kingsport (Sullivan Co.), on the island downstream from Netherland Inn
Bridge, where the Great Blue Herons nested last year, there were two or three
Great Blue Herons standing on and around the nests Saturday.
     Also, I saw the Ross's Goose at Clyde Austin 4-H Center in Greene Co.
again on Saturday 10 FEB 2007.  It was not present this morning, Monday.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES