[TN-Bird] Great horned owl, TV movie on Florida scrub jay coming.

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:37:32 EST

Good Morning TN-Birders,
When I opened the door to let one of my poodles out at a little after 4 A.M.
today, one of our impressive great horned owls flew up and headed toward the
Cumberland River here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville.  It is
always a special thrill to see them.  They do come to "mouse" at my bird feeder
fairly often as the mice frequent the feed on the deck at night.
Although it is not about Tennessee birders, I wanted to add the following
post from Florida in case you want to watch for this cable TV show featuring
scrub jays, one of my favorite species.  Those of you who have never seen one
have
missed  a fun experience!
When I lived in Indialantic, Florida, during the late 60's-early '70's, I had
many scrub jays in the then-vacant scrub land behind my home.  Every
afternoon when I returned from work and went inside to feed my poodles, the
scrub jays
would appear immediately where they perched on the fender of my car in the
carport and fly to the kitchen window "scracking" like crazy until I walked out
with a handful of red-skinned raw, unsalted peanuts.  They would perch all
over my arms to get to the hand with the peanuts, grab a peanut and usually fly
to a neighbor's nearby flower bed and bury it in the sand for later.  Needless
to say, my neighbors had a "peanut patch" in their flower bed because the
"clean" seeds  sprouted.  I really LOVED my precious jays, and they are one of
the
special things I miss about Florida.  Here in Tennessee, my
peanut-butter-eating mockingbirds, who come at my call, make up for the loss of
the jays a
little bit.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN
HERE'S THE POST FROM FLORIDA:  Note:  If the link doesn't work, I can
probably send the story as it has worked for me, so far..  Dee
++++
I thought this might be of interestâ?¦an upcoming t.v. show on Lake Countyâ??s
Fl. Scrub Jays.
TV discovers Scrub-Jay's star power
--------------------
Amy C. Rippel
Special to the Sentinel
January 3 2009
CLERMONT -- They're friendly little blue birds with larger-than-life
personalities. And in a few weeks, Florida scrub-jays in Lake County will take
center
stage in an upcoming television show.
The complete article can be viewed at:
_http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/orl-lscrubjay0309jan03,0,5386