[TN-Bird] Great Horned Owls

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:27:56 -0500

Last night under the near full moon there were at least 3 Great Horned
Owls in my yard calling constantly to each other.  From the pitch of the
calls I could detect at least 2 males and one female.  One of the males
and one female were calling back and forth over and over again and
sometimes would even call simultaneously.  Then the female would be silent
and the two males would call back and forth, back and forth, over and
over.  I suspect that courtship has begun and that another male may have
been spoiling the rendezvous!  It was fun listening to them anyway and
they were still going strong when I retired for bed.
This morning the feeders were busy with activity as the Carolina
Chickadees and Tufted Titmice took turns at the sunflower seeds and the
Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers took turns at the suet feeder.

Also heard a Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the yard yesterday afternoon.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County