[TN-Bird] Great Blue Hunter Continues

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:31:48 EDT

Sept. 7, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
This afternoon, just before I left the pits in flew the Great Blue Heron and
landed in the grass on the island. As I said before we very seldom get Great
Blue Herons actually on the pits. This bird has been coming to hunt now that I
know of for a week. It will be interesting to see how long the food will last.
This Great Blue Heron has found a niche and better yet no competition.

Thanks for all the input from across the US about other Great Blue Heron food
encounters. From toll booths on the gulf coast to pools in California,
evidently Great Blue Herons are finding unique prey items and niches to fill.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN