[tn-bird] Golden Eagle at Long Point in KY / plus

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:11:46 EST

March 3, 2002
Pace Point Area
Reelfoot Area

The extreme cold and wind made looking out across the water at Pace Point and
environs a chore. The warm water, cold winds and streaking snow made for
horrendous heat waves off the surface. We did see a lot of dark objects
bobbing in and out of the shimmer and probably had a few dozen good looks at
loons but none of the loons we were looking for. At one place I counted 182
Pied-billed Grebes sleeping in one long slick.

I birdied with Mike Resch from Massachusetts, helping him fill in a few TN
and KY holes on his total ticks list. We got quite a few but the weather
worked against us most of the morning at Pace and Britton Ford. We picked up
Purple Finch and Pine Siskins but missed Red-breasted Nuthatch along the way.
Wild Turkeys were seen close up on several occasions. Where there had been
4000 plus geese last Sunday at Britton Ford, we tallied none on Sunday. We
did get 22 species of waterfowl for the day after making a run to Reelfoot.
Green-winged Teal were everywhere we looked in big numbers.

At Long Point in KY we had great and close looks at a hunting sub-adult
Golden Eagle on two occasions. We had a single Tree Swallow at Long Point. We
located, Brewer's and Rusty Blackbirds, Lapland Longspurs and Pipits in the
fields but like to have never kicked up a Savannah Sparrow; they were holding
on for dear life down in the grass. Many Kestrels and an amazing number of
Krider's RT Hawks (4 adults and immatures) were seen over the day.

There were flock after flock of Snow Geese along with numerous Ross's in the
Reelfoot area. I believe it was the most Snow Geese I've ever seen in
Tennessee and if we had taken our time we could have tallied hundreds of
Ross's. We had American Tree Sparrows at Black Bayou to go on the list of 9
sparrows plus Junco for the day.

We ended the day watching Harriers coming into roost and eventually 6
Short-eared Owls coursing the fields close around us. It was a cold, windy,
snowy but rewarding day.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA