[TN-Bird] Fwd: [SHOALS:131] MAWA foreign recapture followup

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:50:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

This isn't a Tennessee record, but it has to do with a "neighbor"
many of us know.  It is especially pertinent because of the fact that
the Sargents had to cancel their fall season this year in light of
the damage done to Dauphin Island and the rest of Mobile and Baldwin
Counties.

I learned to band at Shoals Marine Lab, taught primarily by David
(Holmes) and Sara (Morris) who are referenced in the email.  I had no
idea they learned from the Sargents.  So I learned from someone who
learned from the Sargents.

btw, MAWA is bander talk for Magnolia Warbler.  AHY means After Hatch
Year.  The 9 digit number is the number imprinted on the band which
was applied at Fort Morgan and read 8 miles off the coast of Maine.
All this reinforces what we all know:  birds are amazing creatures.

I'm not on the Alabama list - would someone mind forwarding it there
for me?

Charlie
--- Anthony Hill
wrote:
> Subject: [SHOALS:131] MAWA foreign recapture followup
> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:39:36 -0400
>
> I just received word that the foreign MAWA (2130 43989) that we
> caught on > 9/19 was originally banded as an HY/M in Fort Morgan,
AL, on 10/19/2000.
> This is Bob and Martha Sargent's station (the hummingbird experts
> that trained Sara, David and me). It was banded by one of their
crew by the name of Bill Braman. I called it AHY/U with male 'in the
notes'.

> What are the chances ?  What are the chances of encountering
> someone else's banded bird, and what are the chances that it was
banded by someone you (almost) know? This is amazing stuff.

> WHEW !
>
> Anthony

> Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the
> Back to
> School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey