[TN-Bird] Fwd: Possible Pine Grosbeak

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:18:17 EST

In a message dated 3/2/2006 10:14:21 AM Central Standard Time,
FINCH64@xxxxxxx writes:

> I have never seen a Pine Grosbeak in our area, although I know from reading
>
> that they are in our area and have been more abundant in the past. But, I'm
> understanding their numbers have dwindled in this area in recent years.

It is the Blue Grosbeak that I had read about - NOT the Pine Grosbeak- which
has been here abundantly in the past and dwindled in recent years in middle
TN. Yes, this is much rarer than I thought at first - if it IS a Pine Grosbeak.

Yes the green book on TN birds only has the Pine Grosbeak in the back as a
fossil record for the State of Tennessee.

More observations on the bird. It sat there just staring at me as I looked at
it. From head on the beak very definitely had bulk to it. It had a rounded
look. And that parrot-like hook was unmistakeable when it turned a little to
it's side. Then it turned and looked up at the White-throated Sparrow on a
branch
above the feeder. Also stared long at it as if to say, "This feeder is mine
and you keep away!" lol Also that deep dark burgundy red was much darker and
solid all over than any House Finch I've ever seen.

I wonder if somebody local might want to come even today and maybe stake it
out. I am a novice admittedly and I would hate for people to come from miles
away and maybe it's only a Purple Finch (which I've never seen either) or a
crossbill that has wandered here from the mountains to the East.

Other than that I keep checking and I have both cameras ready to catch it on
film in some way.

I have to work too so I can't play hookie all the time ;-) I know where I'll
be bright and early tomorrow morning though ;-)

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co, TN