[TN-Bird] Re: Fw: [ia-bird] Re: Hooded Crane (speculative)

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kbreault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 15:17:42 -0600

The Indiana discussions have repeated what others have said, that they think the "null hypothesis" for the Hooded Crane should be "escapee." The more I have thought about it, the more I disagree with this. This is valid, in my view, IF the species is one that has a fairly large and/or poorly controlled captive population, or a species that does not have a history of long-distance natural vagrancy. Neither applies in the case of the Hooded Crane, as has been extensively discussed elsewhere. I don't think we have a "null hypothesis" for the origin of this bird, as neither scenario appears likely but one clearly did happen, and we are going to have to make an active decision one way or the other without being able to passively default to an a priori "conservative" stance.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Feb 9, 2012, at 10:57 AM, kbreault wrote:

Continuing speculation from other lists re our putative Hoodie given the IN finding.

Kevin Breault
Brentwood, TN