[TN-Bird] Fw: GBBC starts!

  • From: "susan hollyday" <shollyday@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:29:21 -0600

----- Original Message -----=20
From: CitizenScience@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
To: shollyday@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:22 PM
Subject: GBBC starts!

Great Backyard Bird Count begins this Friday, February 16, 2007!
Continues through Monday February 19.

Dear Great Backyard Bird Count participant,

Your chance to take part in the tenth GBBC comes up this =
weekend-February 16-19, 2007-so be sure not to miss it!

Is it a trend?
Not only do we want the GBBC to be fun for you, but also, last year, =
your tallies contributed to one of the most comprehensive pictures of =
bird abundance and distribution in the history of the count. The =
information provided by the Great Backyard Bird Count is especially =
useful to all of us-birdwatchers and scientists-when we build a =
long-term record of where birds are and whether their numbers are going =
up or coming down. Your efforts help us understand if the changes we see =
are part of a long-term trend, or simply random changes between years.
=20
Check the web site
Be sure to visit the Great Backyard Bird Count web site before the event =
to learn about new information on the GBBC. Simply go to =
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/. See the wonderful photos sent in by =
participants, and learn what last year's results tell us about the birds =
where you live.

Win some binoculars!
When you send in your checklist this year, you will automatically be =
entered in a prize drawing that includes four Vortex Sidewinder 8x42 =
binoculars, donated by Wild Birds Unlimited. By taking part, you can =
also put your town in the running for the "Checklist Champ" title.=20

See awesome photos
Don't forget to send us your photos too! Our website is receiving photos =
taken from February 14 all the way up until February 28. The best will =
be selected to appear on the GBBC Online Photo Gallery and all photos =
will be entered in the GBBC photo contest.

Tell your friends
We hope you'll spread the word this year, and encourage your friends to =
take part too. Send this email to them right now. Remember it's fun, =
free, takes as little as 15 minutes--and it helps us help the birds.

We can't wait to see what you discover this year.

Sincerely,

Paul Green | Director of Citizen Science | National Audubon Society
Janis Dickinson | Director of Citizen Science | Cornell Lab of =
Ornithology

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES