[TN-Bird] Ferruginous Hawk in Lake County - Yes!

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:32:34 -0800 (PST)

Monday, November 22, 2010
general area of Jolly's Landing/Cates Landing, Lake County
Around 2pm
I was in the area where Jeff Wilson found the Ferruginous Hawk yesterday and
after driving around for about 45 minutes I was driving south on the gravel MS
River levee road just south of the jct. with the road that goes over the the
ramp at the landing. I was looking west across the highway in the spoils area
that Jeff referred to yesterday when I noticed a very light buteo rising up out
of the tall grass. I immediately pulled over and got my binoculars on the bird
which was about 300 yard away but at near eye level with me on the levee. The
bird hovered into the wind in the same spot for 2-3 minutes without moving. I
got my scope on the window and was able to view the bird through the scope for
another 10 minutes or so. This is only about a mile north of where I found the
Inca Dove back in August.

This is a very stunning bird with very long, pointed wings and a long tail. I
kept thinking while viewing the bird that it was very eagle-like in in its
mannerisms and flight due to the long wings. The head and tail were very
white and as Jeff stated when the bird was kiting and soaring the flashing
panels on the primary bases could be easily seen.  After hovering for a couple
of minutes the bird flew slowly along the far treeline and then started to soar
upwards and quickly towered to several hundred feet above the ground. After a
couple of minutes of soaring the bird came back down to approximately the same
area where I initially saw it and began hovering again. I watched it for
another
minute or two and lost it as it went down in the area of tall grass on the far
side.

Hopefully this bird will stick around for a little while. There are a lot of
raptors in this general area. I saw 4-5 Red-tails plus 4 Northern Harriers
including nice male plus 2 American Kestrels. There was a nice very light
Krider's looking Red-tail just south of this area along Hwy. 22. A Loggerhead
Shrike was sitting on the wire along Hwy. 22 just north of this area.

There were about 100 American White Pelicans sitting out on Tiptonville Bar in
the Mississippi River and there were hundreds (!) more pelicans on Reelfoot
Lake
sitting on the very numerous stumps that are showing with the lake now so low.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County