[TN-Bird] Favorite field guides: Responses requested

  • From: EGLEAVES@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:49:50 EST

Some of you may remember  that about ten years ago I did a survey on TN-BIRD
to determine your favorite  field guides to the birds.  That was two personal
computers ago and I no  longer have the data from that survey (although I do
remember the field guide  that came out on top).

At this point I would like  to renew that survey and ask any and all of you
to provide me  with your three favorite field guides, with whatever  comments
that you would care to make on each of them.  Here, in  alphabetical order, are
the field guides that come readily to mind, but feel  free to include others.
 I am including the latest editions of which I am  aware and am listing them
by the names by which they are most commonly  known:

*American Bird Conservancy,  All the Birds of North America (2002)

*Golden Guide to Field  Identification of North American Birds (1983)

*Kaufman, Birds of North  America (Rev. ed., 2005)

*National Geographic Field  Guide to the Birds of North America (4th ed.,
2002)

*Peterson's Field Guide to  Birds of Eastern and Central North America (5th
ed., 2002)

*Sibley's Field Guide to  Birds of Eastern North America (2003)

*Stokes Field Guide to  Birds, Eastern Region (1996)

I have not included  Sibley's Guide to Birds, published in 2000, but if you
feel strongly that it  should be included as a field guide you may include it.

Please rank your  preferences 1 through 3 and more if you care to.

For what it's worth, I will  be using the results of this survey in a program
on "The Literature of Birding"  that I will giving at the Warner Park Nature
Center on the morning of Saturday,  April 11.  (You may call 615-352-6299 for
further information.)  I  will also share the results with the list.

Thanks for your  participation and your comments.

Ed Gleaves
Nashville, TN