[TN-Bird] FW: Whooping Crane at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

------ Forwarded Message
From: Charles Murray <owlman505@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:18:17 -0500
To: Melinda Welton <weltonmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Whooping Crane at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

Melinda,

I saw the same or a different adult whooping crane at the Hiwassee Wildlife
Refuge late this morning. I understand from the International Crane
Foundation that there should be at least four whoopers in the area. One of
their tracking interns is also supposed to be "in the area"; however I
haven't seen her/him.

I also saw three American egrets for the first time today. Last year, we had
up to six egrets. The number of sandhill cranes remains very high. I think
there are many more here than at this time in previous years.

The very large amount of rain has covered all the mudflats near Hiwassee
Island. I'm not sure where the sandhill and whooping cranes are roosting now
since they usually roost standing in a few inches of water.

I saw 18 snow or Ross's geese at HWR yesterday. That is the largest number
I've seen in this area.

It sounds like birders in this area are going to have to have "true grit"
(or a lack of good sense) to pursue our hobby beginning Sunday and lasting
for the next several days. It is supposed to be VERY cold!

Charles Murray

------ End of Forwarded Message