[TN-Bird] Eurasian collared dove in Nashville + new mocker tune

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:37:21 EDT

Hello TN-birders,

As I was driving to mail some letters around 2 PM, an Eurasian collared dove
alit on a wire which crosses Thunderbird Drive at Continental in the Charlotte
Park area of West Nashville, Davidson County.  It was not there when I
returned five minutes later.

One of my mockingbirds was imitating a blue jay's alarm call a few minutes
ago.  I do not recall ever hearing (and watching) a mockingbird sound this call
before.  I guess it is imitating and perfecting this call that the huge number
of blue jays are using a lot this summer as the Cooper's hawk is hanging
around a good bit.  I did not see any reason for the mockingbird to be alarmed,
so
maybe it was just "practicing" its new found vocalization, or a Cooper's was
hidden from my sight in one of the VERY leafy trees.

Cheers, prayers & blessings to all,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN