[TN-Bird] Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:46:16 EDT

April 7, 2005
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

April showers have almost gotten out of hand here but they do bring birds.  I
chomped at the bit on Wednesday trying to get down to the Bottoms but did not
 have the opportunity till noon Thursday. There was not much diversity which
usually comes later in the month but they were far more birds than I've seen
recently. Lesser Yellowlegs dropped in even while I was there and the totals
ended as follows: Greater Yellowlegs-1, Lesser 142, Least Sandpiper-16,
Pectoral  Sandpiper -27, and Wilson's Snipe 6. Killdeer are courting and
setting
eggs  while Black-necked Stilts are pair up and still sorting out territories.

American White Pelicans flashed out over the river with flocks of 30+ and  24
counted along with the continual strings of Double-crested Cormorants.

Overall nothing exciting but a good way to spend an hour on a rainy day.  You
just never know what heavy rain will put on the ground.
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN