[TN-Bird] Dove Building A Nest ?

  • From: "David Stone" <rockyturf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:24:50 -0500

    I was sitting in a room in a doctor's office in downtown Chattanooga
yesterday. The room had a window and I watched a Morning Dove that appeared to
be refurbishing an old nest from last year. I am not sure if it was a dove nest
from the previous year or not. It was not much of a structure but perhaps a bit
more than a dove normally makes. I was hoping to get to watch and see how long
the dove worked on the nest but the doctor came in and I did not get to watch
anymore.
    I usually feel like I have more time during the winter months for birding
but unfortunately that has not been the case this year. Watching the dove did
get my juices flowing again . When I got home I rode around The Honors Golf
Course in a golf cart for about 2 hours birding (the course is closed for
winter). I saw lots of sparrows. If I had the time and was better at
identifying them, there may be more sparrow species than I have listed. There
is lots of good habitat there. Below is a list of the birds I saw.

Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk (eating a mouse or rat)
Morning Dove