[TN-Bird] Re: Directions to Wheatear

  • From: swmavocet@xxxxxxx
  • To: sawwhet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:06:11 -0500

Greg,

Direction off the most recent AL RBA:
"The Baldwin County NORTHERN WHEATEAR found 2/3, continued through at least
2/17 south of Foley near County 8 between AL 59 and the Foley Beach Expressway.
 From the expressway, turn west onto County 8 and then left (south) onto Royal
Troon about half way down towards AL 59.  Royal Troon is a semi-circular
entrance road with a pond in the middle and actually connects to County 8 at
both ends.  The wheatear may still be favoring the western half Royal Troon
down to the intersection at Augusta.   The wheatear does spend enough time on
the ground to be overlooked and tends to blend in if not sitting up or flying.
It habitually perches on the stakes, cable boxes, conduit, and other low
perches in the area.  It has at times perched on and in short trees.  Please
note this is an active construction site and there can be significant traffic
during weekdays.  Park as near the curb as possible. [DeAL 64-E3]"

Also more info and a MapQuest link provided to other recent chasers:
"The fastest way to the Wheatear is take AL287 off I-65 through Bay Minette,
Robertsdale, Loxley, etc.  AL287 hooks up with AL 59 to go straight south.  You
want to get on the Foley Beach Expressway and bypass as much of the Foley
traffic as possible.  MapQuest shows it pretty good:"

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=foley&state=al&zipcode=#north

There is no street address I know of.  Royal Troon is a brand new road with no
houses right now (probably no for long).

Good luck!

Steve McConnell
Hartselle, AL