[TN-Bird] Death of a Yellowlegs

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:25:24 EDT

Sept. 26, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
Mike Todd and I enjoyed a spectacular day of Wind Birds and Raptors on
Sunday. In the 20 years I've been counting shorebirds at the best place in the
mid-south for these Wind Birds, I've been privileged to see many hunting
Peregrines. We had at least 5 different birds there on Sunday including a young
male of
the arctic subspecies that I had watched Saturday afternoon try unsuccessfully
again and again for a meal.

It is rare to get to document one particular bird and its quest for food. Try
the last album at my web site to see this wonderful bird. Again the photos
were taken at a distance and through heat waves but I thought some might enjoy
the experience. The last three photos may be a little too graphic for some.

Try: http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/

Click on photos to enlarge and read text........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN