[TN-Bird] Cove Lake State Park

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:41:39 -0500

Today, 13 March 2005, sixteen members of the Knoxville Chapter of the
Tennessee Ornithological Society birded Cove Lake State Park in Campbell
County near Caryville, TN.  An item of note is that we found dead the Mute
Swan that has been resident at the lake for the last three + years.  The
swan was on the sand bar on the side of the lake nearest the Interstate
across the lake from the restaurant.  Cause of death was not apparent.

Notable sightings included an adult Bald Eagle soaring over the lake, one
Horned Grebe and one male American Wigeon on the lake, and two Brown
Creepers and six Rusty Blackbirds along the woodland trails.  A total count
was 56 species as follows:

Horned Grebe - 1
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
Great Blue Heron - 6
Wood Duck - 7
Gadwall - 30+
Canada Goose - 30+
Mallard - 30+
American Wigeon - 1
Bald Eagle - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 3
Turkey Vulture - 25+
American Coot - 30+
Killdeer - 6
Wilson's Snipe - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Ring-billed Gull - 40+
Mourning Dove - 10
Belted Kingfisher - 4
Northern Flicker - 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 2
Downer Woodpecker - 1
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Pileated Woodpecker - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 8
Eastern Phoebe - 10
Tree Swallow - 35+
American Crow - 30+
Blue Jay - 8
Carolina Chickadee - 30+
Eastern Tufted Titmouse - 20
Brown Creeper - 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 12
Carolina Wren - 15
Winter Wren - 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 3
American Robin - 10
Northern Mockingbird - 3
European Starling - 40+
Pine Warbler - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 6
Northern Cardinal - 3
Dark-eyed Junco - 6
Fox Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - 14
White-throated Sparrow - 4
Eastern Towhee - 4
Red-winged Blackbird - 5
Rusty Blackbird - 6
Eastern Meadowlark - 2
House Finch - 1
Purple Finch - 1
American Goldfinch - 3
House Sparrow - 6

I realize that this list is in the order of the old Field Check list of
Tennessee Birds, but we are trying to use all these cards in our possession
before using the new cards.  You won't have to bear this much longer.

Harold Howell
KTOS
Rutledge Tennessee