[TN-Bird] Re: Countability (Hooded Crane & otherwise)

  • From: Kevin Breault <Kevin.Breault@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hyla514@xxxxxxxxx" <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:29:56 +0000

Daniel is quite right. Thus, the ABA rules are simply for reasons of
comparability for those who are members and want to report their lists. If that
is your situation you must follow the ABA rules, no question. If you are not
reporting your lists to the ABA you can put anything you want on your personal
lists, Hooded Crane, Aplomado Falcon (not countable by the ABA but counted by
Komito and Vanderpoel in their Big Years), reptiles (I assume not on a bird
list), and of course you can have all kiinds of lists not used by the ABA, dead
birds, birds identified on TV, birds banded, birds that have nested on my
little mountain in Williamson Co., birds seen out my home office window, birds
identified while grading papers, etc. I have a small list of birds that are not
countable in terms of the ABA. They are not included in the totals I send to
the ABA but nevertheless I keep them on a personal list. I don't always like
the decisions (or lack of decisions!), by the ABA concerning some birds (mainly
of some introduced birds in FL), but we should follow the rules as anyone would
as a member of any group.

Kevin Breault

Brentwood, TN