[TN-Bird] Cooper's Hawk prey escapes

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:12:49 -0500

I was heading out for a jog yesterday afternoon from my house in Smyrna
(rutherford co) and saw an adult Coopers Hawk sitting on the lawn across the
street.  I could also see a bird flapping underneath while the Coopers was
trying to crush it.  I watched for a bit and in the end the Coopers tried to
fly off and carry it's still kicking meal, but it couldn't carry the weight (or
hold onto the flapping bird).  It dropped the Yellow-shafted Flicker, which hit
the ground and then flew off in the other direction, appearing to be ok.  That
is one tough (and lucky) flicker!

You never know what you'll see.

Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist