[TN-Bird] Cooper's Hawk nests

  • From: "David T. Pitts" <dpitts@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:29:56 -0500

Does anyone know of or have a record of a Cooper's Hawk nest in west
Tennessee north of Jackson? I am preparing a note for "The Migrant" about
the Cooper's Hawks that nested in my yard, and I am wondering if this is the
first documented Cooper's Hawk nest in northwest Tennessee.  I am aware of
documented west Tennessee nests in Shelby Co. (well described by Susan
McWherter) and  Henderson Co., but neither of these was in the northwest
part of the state.  Like other observers in west Tennessee, I have seen
an increase in the number of Cooper's Hawks during the nesting season, but
other than the pair in my yard, I have not succeeded in finding active
nests.

David Pitts
Martin, TN
dpitts @utm.edu