[TN-Bird] Common Redpoll: Directions, photos

  • From: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:35:06 -0600

I've posted pictures of the Common Redpoll in Hohenwald, Lewis
County, here:

http://bbill.blogspot.com/2007/02/great-bird-for-great-backyard-
bird.html

Anyone interested in trying to see this bird:

My mother's house is on South Walnut Street, right near "downtown."
If you are coming in to Hohenwald from the west on Highway 412 (i.e
from Linden, Memphis, etc.) Walnut Street is the first traffic light,
and you will turn right.  If you are coming in from the east (from
Columbia, Nashville etc.) you go through downtown and west on Main
Street / Highway 412.  Walnut street is four blocks west of the
highway 48 crossing.  You will see a Regents Bank on the right just
past the light at Walnut.  Turn left = south onto Walnut.  Her house
is on the left, number 313, with the house number on a stake in the
yard near the street beside a whiskey barrel planter.  The driveway
is just past the planter, you can actually park in the driveway and
use the car as a blind if you want.  I saw the bird frequenting the
feeder hanging just at the far end of the carport, and in the large
wisteria tangle to its left.  It also flew off eastwards several
times, and disappeared for 15-20 minutes at a time.  It was
associating with the goldfinches and house finches, of course.  Mom
says there's no need to call first; her name is Betsy Russell, by the
way.

Good luck!  I'll be out of town for a few days so please post your
results here if anyone makes a run for it.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES