[TN-Bird] Chickadees, titmice, sunflower seeds and bird books

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:48:21 EST

With the recent extreme cold spell, I made an extra effort to keep our f
eeders full and keep enough suet and seed cakes out for the birds. I was able
to attract quite alot of birds in the past few weeks. I saw a couple of
firsts for our yard in fact - Song Sparrow and White-throated Sparrow. I have
also noticed a habit which seems peculiar only to Carolina Chickadees and
Tufted Titmice (as far as I know). They both will take a sunflower seed in
their beak and take it to a branch, put it down on the branch, grasp either
end of the seed with both of their feet and then hammer away at it to get at
the kernel inside. I'm sure many experienced birders and bird-watchers on the
list are right now saying, "Well..yeah...duh...everyone knows they do that."
lol

But I have never noticed that until recently. But I also wondered if any
other members of Paridae have this particular habit. I have read of European
tits who have learned to peck away at paper milk bottle lids to get at the
milk inside. So, they seem to be very ingenious birds all around. But I
wonder if anyone on the list has seen other members of the family (even in
other countries - Europe, Asia, Africa) using the same technique to get at
the kernel of seeds even down to grasping the seed with both ends with both
feet and balancing it on a branch first to do so. Just the fact that I have
yet to see any of them drop it off the branch indicates that they must have
some ability to know exactly where to put it down so that doesn't happen.

I have quite a collection of guides to birds of various regions of the world
and I tried to find references of this habit in other members of the family
but I only found one reference. In my rather worn, tattered and torn copy of
Random House Book of Birds (copyright 1970 - and it shows! lol) there is
reference to Titmice using this same technique on acorns, holding it down
with one foot and hacking away until the shell cracks to get at the seed
inside. This book also mentions the Varied Tit being kept as a cage bird in
Japan and that they can be taught tricks.

Speaking of bird books I have been trying, so far in vain, to obtain a copy
of Austin's "Birds of the World" (copyright 1961). I have a friend who has a
publishing company and she even tried to get a copy for me. She told me her
suppliers said it is out of print and is unavailable. I would go to
Amazon.com but she has cited them as a major competitor (downright enemy
actually lol) so loyalty to her prevents me from taking that route. Is anyone
aware of where I could possibly obtain a copy of this extremely invaluable
resource? I keep having to check it out of the local library and then drool
over it - lol. Wishing I had my own copy.

Another book I am interested in obtaining is a good copy of J. Hanzak's
"Pictorial Encyclopedia of Birds" (copyright 1965). I have a copy of this
book as well. I think I bought it in the early 70's when I was like 12 or 13.
It was a beautiful book at one time and along with the Random House - one of
my favorite bird books when I was a kid. But now it has no cover at all. Many
of the pages are tattered and some have completely fallen out. But in
pristine condition it is a beautiful bird book - I'm talking coffee table
quality. But, again, I'm not sure if it is even still in print. I doubt it.
My friend told me that generally non-fiction goes out of print more than
fiction. I guess it must be supply and demand.

Sorry I don't post very often. I get involved in work and other things
(mostly political and social issues) and have to limit my birding to armchair
birding and watching the feeders from inside the house. But I will try to be
on the lookout for any possible birds of note at the feeders and try to
remember to post those observations on the list.

Take care all

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN