[TN-Bird] Re: Change in GA state bird?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: David-Aborn@xxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:05:20 EST

No, no, no to the chicken!  The brown thrasher is a NATIVE bird in
Georgia.  The chicken is not!  By the way, that "flip" web site has no  other
option than to go for the chicken.

To make this "legal," I've had a pair of purple finches at my Charlotte
Park home in West Nashville during every snow including the flurries
yesterday.

Dee Thompson\Nashville, Davidson County, TN

In a message dated 2/25/2010 11:54:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
David-Aborn@xxxxxxx writes:

This was in today's Atlanta  Journal-Constitution.

David Aborn
Chattanooga, TN

An Augusta  restaurateur has launched a grass roots effort to change
Georgia's official  state bird from the brown thrasher to the chicken.

"I've got a lot of  brown thrashers in my back yard; they're all over the
place," said Chris  Cunningham, president of the company that operates eight
Wife Saver  restaurants in Georgia and South Carolina.  "My wife and I, we
sit on  the patio and have a cocktail and we were sitting there thinking,
'what a  waste.' The brown thrasher is the state bird, and what's it ever
done for  the state of Georgia?"

The brown thrasher, Cunningham says, "hasn't  done anything. It's a pretty
bird, nothing against the brown thrasher, but  the chicken brings millions
of
dollars."

Cunningham points to the  chicken processing industry in northeast Georgia,
saying that "chicken  that's processed in the state of Georgia is shipped
all
over the world. If  it wasn't for the chicken, Georgia's economy would be in
the  tank."

Cunningham, whose family opened the first Wife Saver restaurant  in Augusta
in 1965, is so adamant about the need for a change that he is  spearheading
new Web site crowing about the idea,  flipthebirds.com.

On the Web site, which is chock full of fowl facts  and trivia, Cunningham
asks visitors to sign an online petition and to  write their state
representatives. He also talks about his effort to  further the cause of the
chicken.

"People need to get online, call  us, get a yard sign, ask for a t-shirt, do
something," Cunningham said. "I  just want to see how people think about it,
and maybe the legislators might  listen to us. At last the chicken will get
little respect out of the  deal."

=================NOTES TO  SUBSCRIBER=====================

The TN-Bird Net requires you to SIGN  YOUR MESSAGE with
first and last name, CITY (TOWN) and state  abbreviation.
You are also required to list the COUNTY in which the  birds
you report were seen.  The actual DATE OF OBSERVATION  should
appear in the first  paragraph.

Cleveland,  OH
Rosedale,  VA
--------------------------------
Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
Clarksville,  TN

Visit the  Tennessee Ornithological Society
web site at http://www.tnbirds.org

ARCHIVES
TN-Bird Net  Archives at //www.freelists.org/archives/tn-bird/

MAP  RESOURCES