[TN-Bird] Cedar Glade SNA and Long Hunter SP, Nashville

  • From: <ethden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:12:31 -0500

Cedar Glade State Natural Area
Wilson Co, TN
While I went here primarily to see the Echinacea tennesseensis or Tennessee
coneflower (one of the best spreads of this native wildflower anywhere), the
birding did not disappoint, either. The most numerous birds there seemed to be:

black vulture-- 10 just by the side of the road
bobwhite-- several and closeby
common yellowthroat
field sparrow
goldfinch
indigo bunting
eastern towhee
prairie warbler- at least two singing
white eyed-vireo
yellow breasted chat

and since I was in the area, I walked a portion of the Bryant Grove Trail at
Long Hunter State Park, Nashville-Davidson, Co. (Percy Priest Lake) and saw or
heard among others:

great blue heron-- numerous
great egret
Kentucky warbler
prairie warbler
summer tanager
yellow billed cuckoo-- got an excellent view of this one just a few feet away
yellow breasted chat

but perhaps the highlight was:

a singing male prothonotary warbler moving along the lakeside pursued by two
juvenals who appeared to still be looking for handouts. The former did not seem
to know it was Father's Day.

Kevin Bowden
Nashville, TN