[TN-Bird] Cattle Egret roost in Roane County

  • From: "Steve Clendenen" <steve-clendenen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRDS" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:40:34 -0400

This evening from 6:45 p.m. to 7:35 p.m., Boyd Sharp, Gail Clendenen and I
watched Cattle Egrets arrive at a small island in the Clinch River until there
were at least 233.  In taller trees to the rear, there were at least 75
Double-created Cormorants.  One Black-crowned Night-Heron flew by.
The island can be viewed from Ladd Landing boat ramp in Roane County.  On I-40,
take Exit 352.  Turn left at the stop.  Go about one mile and turn left into
the boat ramp area.  The island is several hundred yards northwest from the
ramp.  This is the island that Boyd has posted about in the past because of the
egrets that he sees there.

Earlier at Kingston Steam Plant (Exit 350), with Sharon Bostick, Frank Beals,
Dolly Ann Myers and Ron Hoff, we saw two Caspian Terns, one Common Tern, one
Lesser(?) Yellowlegs, and small numbers of Semipalmated Plovers and various
sandpipers.

After we arrived at the Clendenen house in Farragut, Boyd, Gail and I saw six
Common Nighthawks.

Steve Clendenen
Farragut
Knox County