[TN-Bird] Cades Cove birds

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:47:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Blount County; Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
9/28/04
overcast day, mostly in the 70's

Today I led a group of 10 8th graders from Berrien County, Michigan
on a tour of the Cove.  We did a couple service learning projects
(breaking down stone dams on a creek, helping park service personel
collect native grass and forb seeds) and look for dragonflies,
salamanders and bears.  We were successful on all counts (including
capturing and releasing a female green form of the Shadow Darner).

The closest we came to birding was mid day off Hyatt Lane (Near where
Jean Alexander and David Johnson found a Short-eared Owl a year ago).
 We saw a bunch of Palm Warblers - at least 25 flitting around the
low trees and fence along the road, then into the native plant
increase fields (but not much in the fescue...)  All appeared to be
"western" and not "yellow" forms.

We also had a good time with raptors.  A very vocal, very brightly
colored Red-shouldered Hawk, a male almost-adult Northern Harrier
(not quite all gray) a Cooper's Hawk, a Peregrine Falcon, and 2
sightings of what I presume to be the same Merlin.  Whew!

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey