[TN-Bird] Brewer's Blackbirds, more than 4 and 20

  • From: <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:40:36 -0500

I visited Sequatchie Valley this morning chiefly in search of the Brewer's
Blackbirds that have been wintering at the Johnson family farm for several
years.  I arrived at 0730 CST and there was no sign of the birds, however on
return 30 minutes later, there were at least 100 present with more arriving all
the time.  This site is reliable and convenient, as you can easily see the
birds at close range without even leaving the car.  They tend to feed in the
muddy field across from the farm buildings below the restaurant, and then loaf
around the yard in the trees later in the day.  The farm can be accessed from
US127 about one mile north of the intersection of Tn8/111.  Turn right on
Sprouse HIll Road and stay left at the Y, the farm and restaurant are obvious a
bit farther along.  This is all about 3 miles north of Dunlap.  I checked the
Swafford Pond while in the valley, but all I found was a flock of Canada Geese
and a few Mallards.  On Nine Mile Road, no sign of Rough-legged
  Hawk, though I did see a female or immature Northern Harrier.

In Chattanooga, the pair of Peregrine Falcons that have nested just below the
Chickamauga Dam for several years are being seen on a regular basis in the
area.

Cheers

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn 37130