[TN-Bird] Bonaparte's Gulls flock at S. Holston Dam

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:06:34 EST

Wed. , Nov. 13, ca 11 am I observed a flock of 30+ Bonaparte's Gulls fly over
South Holston Dam from the lake to the river below.  They flew in formation,
not unlike Starlings, circling low over the river several times, then
beginning to lose the tight formation as individual birds began dropping to
the surface to snatch up items from the surface.  At this point Ring-billed
gulls began joining them.  I wondered if the circling formation was designed
to "drive" fish into a smaller, concentrated group for easier feeding.  If
anyone has seen or heard of such behavior I would be interested in learning
about it.  Anyway, the gulls of both species headed out over the lake again,
spreading far and wide.  I later saw a flock of 32 Bonaparte's on the surface
of the lake, and later still another flock of 23 circling over the river that
eventually flew back to the lake.  I don't know how many of the birds I saw
more than once.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN