[TN-Bird] Re: Blue grossbeak

  • From: "mark campen" <mcampen7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:46:48 -0400

Charlie, Carole and all tn-birders,

I have to chime in here in defense of Turkey Creek Wetland, which have not
been completely ruined.  Of course, if we could keep Turkey Creek and other
wetland/ wild areas pristine and undeveloped, most of us would do so, but in
this land of free market and business, if anyone has the capital for such
investments, he or she can build whatever they want, as long as the proper
permits are in place.  I'm not saying I support the developments in this
area, but what has been done, is done.  The wetland is still functional
hydrologically and still supports many birds and other plants and animals
including mammals such as beaver, muskrat, woodchuck, fox, deer, raccon and
many reptiles and amphibians.  In the heart of a growing west Knoxville and
Town of Farragut, there is an opportunity here for youth, and people of all
ages, to observe a variety of wildlife and learn about conservation and the
environment as a whole.&nbsp  ;

The birds Carole mentioned, as well as, yellow-breasted chats, a transient
scarlet tanager, the once nesting Red-shouldered hawk, American wigeons,
woodducks and other waterfowl, various herons and either a snowy or great
egret (observed by Boyd Sharp I believe) have been seen this year with
othersyet to be discovered.  There still are impacts to the wetland and
violation notices have been issued, but the monitoring continues and the
impacts from trash and silt are being reduced to help conserve what is still
Turkey Creek Wetland.  The mitigation resulting from the developments
created  more wetland than what was there originally, which up to the '70s
was predominantly farmland with corn growing throughout.  Actually, the
beavers are the main cause of the land flooding in the first place.

A chapter sponsored field trip and a brief presentation and discussion of
thewetland will be given at the August KTOS meeting.

bird on!

Mark Campen
nbspKnoxville, TN                                                         &n
bsp;

>From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx> >Reply-To: cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx >To:
cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: Blue
grossbeak >Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:51:18 -0700 (PDT) >>Carole, >>It's good
to see that one can still find some interesting birds in >that area. I sadly
discovered Turkey Creek after the construction >which ruined the wetlands
hadalready begun. I know of at least a >couple Knox area birder who will not
patronize any of the businesses >there... >>Charlie >>--- Carole Gobert
<cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >>Sunday morning, June 27, around 9 a.m. I had
a blue grossbeak >>serenade me >>from various small trees in the Baptist
parking lot overlooking a >>part of >>the Turkey Creek wetlands in West Knox
County, Tennessee. The bird >>flew >>from tree to tree, singing for a minute
or so in each and fi nally >>flying off >>in the direction of the marsh. I
also watched a green heron >>successfully >>fishing below in the marsh.
Therewere lots of red winged >>blackbirds and >>robins. Also 2 Northern
Flickers, a belted kingfisher, bluejays >>and >>goldfinches. >>>>Carole
Gobert >>Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee
the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s) >>endorse the views or opinions
expressed >>by the members of this discussion group. >>>>Moderator: Wallace
Coffey, Bristol, TN >>wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >>>>* * * * * * * * * * *
** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * >>Visit the Tennessee Ornithological
Society >>web site at http://www.tnbirds.org >>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * >Topographical Maps located at http://topozone.com/find.asp >* *