[TN-Bird] Blount County White-fronted goose

  • From: Birdglass44@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:51:16 EST

This morning I found a White-fronted goose feeding in a flock of 45 Canada
geese in the Louisville area of Blount County.  The geese were on Hilliard
Drive behind the veterinarian office on Little Dug Gap Road.  From  Louisville
Road turn onto Miser Station Road and turn right after crossing the  bridge.
At
the top of the hill is the vet's office and Hilliard Drive -  follow it past
the Vet, between the fields and past the barn to where the  woods begin.
There were over 200 Canada geese and 16 Sandhill cranes in  the fields.  The
White-fronted goose was with a smaller group near the  woodline.

The Great egret was perched in a tree at the far western end of  the view
from Miser Station bridge. I also had a large flock of  American pipits
foraging
on the turf farm on Proffitt Road, the cut-off road  between Louisville Road
and route 335.  They flew up frequently when  traffic passed and I was unable
to find anything other than American pipits.

On Phelps Pond 10 Great blue herons were on nests -  I did not  see any
nesting activity there last year.  A Kestrel was observe in there  area and I
had
great views of a female Merlin in a tree by the Stilt pond.   Very little duck
activity on the ponds - a few Ring-necked ducks on Hitch and  Phelps, mallards
on all three ponds and about 20 Gadwall on Hitch pond.

A Bald eagle was seen sitting on the shore just before the entrance gate to
Scenic Point.  It was later observed on the small rocky island about 400
yards out from the gate.  Pied-billed grebes were the only other water  birds
seen
from Scenic Point.

Warren Bielenberg
Maryville