[TN-Bird] Bledsoe Short-eared Owls

  • From: "Douglas Downs" <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:48:19 -0600

This past Saturday (01-21) my wife and I journeyed to Bledsoe County in
search of the short-eared owls reported earlier.  We arrived at the site on
Nine Mile Crossing at about 4:45 p.m. and found two fine gentlemen from the
Chattanooga area already there.  They reported having seen harriers but no
owls as yet.  Indeed, at least two harrriers appeared within a minute or two
and drifted to and fro over the fields adjacent to the pond.  At about 5:05
p.m. four short-eared owls appeared fluttering along the western edge of the
fields, out along a tree line.  For the next twenty minutes or so they
continued to work the far edges to the west and north of the roadside area.
Unfortunately they refused to come much closer or to perch on nearby
fenceposts to afford us a closer look.  At the same time, at least four
harriers (2m, 2f) flew around the same area.  In fact, on one occasion we
witnessed a poaching incident in which one of the harriers "bumped" a
short-eared, causing it to lose its prey.  The harrier then picked up its
trophy and flew away for a much-undeserved meal.  The owls disappeared at
around 5:25 p.m., while the four harriers continued to work the areas around
the pond until it became too dark for viewing.  We saw a total of four
short-eared owls and four northern harriers.  Throw in the beautiful drive
down from Crossville and the always impressive terrain of the Sequatchie
Valley and it made for a great evening.

Douglas Downs
Sparta, White County, Tennessee