[TN-Bird] Birds at work...at work

  • From: "ANNA VARNEY" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:40:53 -0500

Even on the job a person needs to take a look outside and see what's
happening.

1.  The Barn Swallows that have nested on the side of the building (in a
protected spot)for years now have done it again.  The landlord knocks their
nest down every year but that doesn't stop the little dynamos.  They just
rebuild in the very same spot.  Its fun to watch them swoop down on the
unsuspected, like the guy from the EPA last week taking pictures of our
propane storage area which is right next to the swallow nest.

2.  A brand new family of Killdeer seen on the makeshift road that leads
from the freight docks to the backyard.  It amazing that they successfully
nested in the area, what with all the big trucks running through.

3.  Ma and Pa Mockingbird.  Every day I would throw an apple core outside on
the sidewalk as a treat for them.  They would both show up together and both
take turns feasting.  I started a diet plan and can't have apples for a
while so I brought them a whole apple today (o.k., I took one bite (-;)  I
figured that they would have had that apple gone in no time.  Not so.
Finally got to see what the problem was.  One would take a stab at it and it
would roll and freak the bird out.  We solved the problem by cutting a piece
of it to make it stable.  The mockingbirds are happy again.

4.  Starlings have again attempted nesting in the overhead door.  Every
morning we'd find all kinds of nest materials along with tons of trash
especially cigarette butts on the floor inside the building.  We'd then open
and close the door, its a roll type, and give the birds a tumble.  After
about two months they've moved on to a friendlier location.  I always had
the fear that they would pick up a lit cigarette and add this to the pile of
stuff they would bring in.

Now for the home birds:

First ever sighting for me and a great addition to the yard list:  Cerulean
Warbler 1st year (06.11.03)  Cerulean Warbler Adult (06.15.03).

Anna Varney
Linden, TN