[TN-Bird] Apologies re: Richard Schier's aol email account has been "hacked" (forward from Wallace Coffey)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:08:30 -0500

The attack on TN-Birds Net, and many of you individually, was launched from a
user near
Wichita, KS.  Neither the rschier461 address or our mailing list was hit
directly.  There
is evidence that no entry was made to our list  by anyone attempting to
directly subscribe
and then posting the virus from rschier461, directly to our list as a
subscriber.  Rather, it
seems, the hacker apparently entered a port into a listserv at some point and
was able
to send to our list without actually using the address rschier461 which is not
subscribed
to TN-Birds Net.  But the message did end up in TN-Birds Net archive so the
exact route
into the list is still unknown but it appears very nontraditional.  The hacker
and mode of
operation has been experienced by a number of online users across the nation
and there
is reasonable protest and outcry attempting to get the spamming stopped.  Some
of you
did receive messages that appeared to be from other birders you know and did
not open
the suspicious subject lines.  Some of you received an additional spam that did
not use
Re1 but used Re2 in the subject.  Sharon Schier wrote and warm and concerned
email
to me extending apologies regarding the message sent from her late husband
Richard Schier's rschier461@xxxxxxx email address.  Although Richard passed
away in April 2010, she
has kept his AOL email account active.  Actually, this would have happened to
anyone
in the path of the hacker and spammer.  Our best defense is an aggressive
offense.  We can
be aggressive by carefully constructing specific subject lines with some
reasonable details
and messages that carry specific locations and signed by our actually
subscribers with
their actual locations by city, town and state.  Any of our subscribers are
then armed to the
max to spot anything that is out of the ordinary in a post that may be spam
and/or viruses.
The Hooded Crane is drawing an increasing arrival of new subscribers from all
over the
country who are tracking it.  Many of them are use to "anything goes" post to
bird list that
are often rank with fighting, sloppy and unreliable information and no
attribution to much of
anything.  Please help TN-Birds hang on to the high and safe standards we have
mostly
been able to achieve.  Of the thousands of list out there by freelist, I think
we were still
ranked in the top two or three lists in the world and in science for our high
quality, constant
focus and getting it done.  Hang in there TN-Birders.

Be sure and read Sharon Schier's message to me that follows by signature:

Wallace Coffey
Moderator, TN-Birds Net
Tennessee Ornithological Society
Bristol, TN