[TN-Bird] A murder of crows (Kingston)

  • From: <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:03:49 -0500

Tuesday evening (11/12), my Signif Other called to tell me that 100+ crows were
circling over his area just SE of the Kingston exit on I-40, and were settling
down to roost in neighborhood trees. We are of course visited yearly by
enormous swarms of redwings and other blackbirds, and great flocks of
starlings, but never in my 25 years in this area, nor my signif's lifetime
here, have we seen such a murder of crows. I wonder if they were routed by
Sunday night's terrific line of storms, including the Mossy Grove tornadoes 18
miles to the NW?? However, they arrived 48 hrs afterward so the correlation
doesn't seem direct.

I would be very interested to hear if other East TN birders have been visited
by such large numbers of crows and the circumstances that might have induced
such large flocks to form (everything bird-y seems bigger in West TN so I
expect this is no big deal on the Central Flyway).

Thanks for your info!

Liz Singley
Kingston, TN