[TN-Bird] A Wake of Vultures

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:03:02 EDT

June 16, 2005
Fayette Co. TN

I saw the largest concentration of Black Vultures I've ever seen in this
part of TN and probably the highest count at one place at one time ever in the
state for me. Evidently there was a dead animal in a field near a lake on a
cattle farm. The birds appeared as they were disturbed by a guy on a 4 wheeler
at a pond. My best count of the birds that split into two columns and circled
was 166 Black Vultures and 7 Turkey. One kettle headed east while the other
headed northwest. I see a lot of Black and Turkey Vultures in the area but
this  was something like you would only see on the Africa veldt or down in
Vera
Cruz, Mexico during migration.

What are high number, single point counts in other parts of TN, away  from
roosts or not during migration?

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA