[TIPSdiscussion] Fw: ARLX005 Global Simulated Emergency Test Scheduled for April

----- Original Message -----
From: "ARRL Web site" <memberlist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <k1stm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <Subscribed ARRL Members:>
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 8:05 AM
Subject: ARLX005 Global Simulated Emergency Test Scheduled for April

> SB SPCL @ ARL $ARLX005
> ARLX005 Global Simulated Emergency Test Scheduled for April
>
> ZCZC AX05
> QST de W1AW
> Special Bulletin 5  ARLX005
> From ARRL Headquarters
> Newington CT  March 20, 2009
> To all radio amateurs
>
> SB SPCL ARL ARLX005
> ARLX005 Global Simulated Emergency Test Scheduled for April
>
> The HQ Stations of all IARU Member-Societies, as well as the
> stations of Emergency Communications Groups, have been invited by
> IARU Region 1 to participate in the 2009 Global Simulated Emergency
> Test (GlobalSET), on Saturday, April 18, 2009 from 1100-1500 UTC.
> The GlobalSET will take place on and near the emergency Center of
> Activity (CoA) frequencies on 80, 40, 20, 17 and 15 meters, +/- QRM.
> Stations in the United States intending to participate need to
> register through their IARU International Emergency Communications
> Coordinator. For the United States, registrations should be e-mailed
> to ARRL Emergency Preparedness and Response Manager Dennis Dura,
> K2DCD at, k2dcd@xxxxxxxxx
>
> Dura confirmed that W1AW will participate in the GlobalSET.
>
> According to IARU Region 1 Emergency Communications Coordinator Greg
> Mossop, G0DUB, the GlobalSET is not a contest, but an emergency
> communications exercise to develop skills needed to provide an
> international emergency network.
>
> Mossop said that the GlobalSET has four objectives:
>
>  To increase the common interest in emergency communications.
>
>  To test how usable the CoA frequencies are across ITU regions.
>
>  To create practices for international emergency communications.
>
>  To practice the relaying of messages using all modes: Voice (SSB),
>  Data or CW.
>
> "The exercise will build on earlier GlobalSET exercises and will
> focus on generating and relaying messages in a common format across
> country borders, rather than the information gathering capabilities
> that we've done in the past," Mossop said. "We will pass messages in
> a format that we may have to use for the agencies we may serve. The
> message exchange will take longer than in previous exercises, and
> stations will have to be patient to transmit their messages across
> country and language boundaries."
>
> Each participating station is to send messages to their Regional HQ
> station using the IARU International Emergency Operating Procedure,
> using IARU message forms. Stations should relay the messages they
> receive to their Regional HQ station; the Region 2 station is TG0AA
> in Guatemala. To comply with license regulations, all messages
> should be addressed to Greg Mossop, G0DUB, and should come from a
> licensed radio amateur. Messages should contain fewer than 25 words
> and should not include anything that would be considered as a "real
> emergency" message by a listener. Mossop suggests constructing
> messages that include weather conditions, the number of operators at
> [...]

TIPSdiscussion welcomes messages from members please POST at:
tipsdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Our Info Page and Web Portal (the easy way to get to your acct)
www.freelists.org/list/tipsdiscussion

Subscribe to the list send a blank email with SUBSCRIBE in the subject field:
tipsdiscussion-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unsubscribe by sending a blank email with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject to:
tipsdiscussion-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tell your friends about TIPSnet!!!