[THIN] Re: surfing the net with Metaframe

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:07:33 -0700

Or...if you don't want anyone on that box to go out to the Internet, delete
the default gateway.  There may be some other ramifications.
adan

             "Jim Kenzig
             Kenzig.com"
             <jkenzig@xxxxxxxx                                          To
             m>                        thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             thin-bounce@freel
             ists.org                                              Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: surfing the net with
                                       Metaframe
             08/12/2005 04:01
             PM

             Please respond to
             thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

You can't have it both ways, either you allow them out to the internet or
you don't.
You can block certain sites or filter the sites you don't want them to go
to. You can prevent them from running IE period and teach them to copy and
paste. You can use content redirection if your version of Metaframe
supports it and make them open IE on the desktop so they browse from there
but unless you have a huge hosts file or block a ton of sites in your IE
security or dns they will have millions of sites at their disposal to
browse to on the web.  I am not aware of a way to do what you are asking
unless I am misreading what you are asking and you only want them to see
internal links which can be done with the hosts file, a routing table or ie
security.

Richard <richardwbb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Hello,

 I have a customer that is using a Metaframe server. One of the published
 apps is Outlook and when he receives a link, internet explorer will start
 it. I donât want the users to surf the internet with the Metaframe server,
 yet I would like to keep it possible for them to use IE to open a link. Is
 there a way to make this possible or do you have some tips on how to
 approach this problem?

 Regards,
 Richard